One of the popular party themes for young boys is Cars. The cars party theme can be based around the Disney cars theme or motor racing in general. A vintage board game that can be played by 2 to 6 players is Waddington’s Formula One racing board game and it is suitable for a car themed party.
With any board game to be played at parties, I would suggest buying 2 or 3 from EBay and then either reselling them or ‘gifting’ them afterwards, or keep one for your own family to enjoy in the future. These type of games can be purchased for about $30 each and make a great center price for any themed party.
In past blog posts I have recommended other party games, such as Waddington’s Buccaneer for a pirate themed party, and the advice I would give for incorporating board games into any party is as follows:-
1) Purchase enough games for everyone to play at the same time (these games usually allow six players at a time).
2) Make sure you read the rules yourself ahead of time and write the main points down so you can explain the rules to the young guests.
3) Create banners, art work on rolls of paper, related to the game and stick them on the walls.
4) Get a couple of trophies, nothing expensive, for the winners.
5) Get some hats\caps appropriate for the game, so the guests can wear them during the game.
Waddington’s Formula One is an interesting motor racing game as it incorporates a car dashboard for each player that shows speed, brake and tire ware. The basic idea is for the players to drive in such a way as to conserve brakes and tires. There are also tactical cards to allow each player certain advantages that can be strategically played during the race. The game, like a real race, ends after a certain number of laps (10). What makes this game ideal for a racing themed party is that there is more strategy than luck involved and the kids will enjoy making decisions such as: go fast and use more brakes or go slower and conserve braking strength for later.
There are other racing games that can be included in a car themed party but Waddington’s Formula One really captures tha spirit, tactics and fun of a real motor racing event.